Volume Five.

Trent left for a moment to go to the restroom. I sat there with thoughts running through my head so fast that I was barely able keep up. I got lost in the blank walls of that waiting room. I lost my composure and sat there zoned out with my mouth hanging open like a child. What would it do to Trent if he lost his mom? I thought. I couldn’t image him ever being the same if he lost his mother.

“Damon?”

It was Trent’s dad. That man was the epitome of a workaholic. I was glad he found the time to get down there to see her. The man worked harder than any other person I had ever known. It was just too bad he was a square ‘suit’ that did nothing, but work in an office. Really he was a nice guy who loved and worked his ass off for his family; even if he did look like a walking zombie almost all the time. He never seemed to have much of a loving relationship with Trent.

He looked pale that day, more than usual. He still had his work suit on. He was a district manager of some local company that makes…well honestly I don’t remember, but he was always stressed out and I’m sure this situation was not doing much for his health either.

“What are you doing here?” He asked me as he rubbed his face trying to scrub the last eight hours off of it.

“…I don’t know. I felt like Trent might need some company. It just felt right for me to be here. How is she?”

“Huh…they aren’t telling me a lot, Damon. I don’t know what to do. We’ve been here for hours.”

“Is there anything I can do?” I asked as I wiped the tears from my face.

“Where is Trent?” He asked me, looking around.

“He went to the bathroom. He is taking this pretty hard. Is there any chance he can see her?”

He let out a sigh and said...

“They won't even let me see her right now, she is still in surgery and in critical condition. Could you do me a favor and take him home, Damon? I’m going to be here for the night and God knows he is hurting enough. There is nothing he can do right now. Take him home and come back in the morning. Is that okay?”

“I’ll try, but I don’t think he will like that idea.”

“You two can come back in the morning. Tell him I will call him when they tell me something. I promise.”

“Wait…shouldn't you talk to him...wait!...bye…” He left before I could object.

He went through those endlessly swinging double doors, those doors that you were never supposed to go past in the movies; those ones that no one was ever allowed behind. I watched them move slower and slower until they both stopped as if they had never made a move at all.

I made my way down the lonely hallway which looked like it had been abandoned long ago. I thought I had been here for at least six hours. I had no idea actually.

Time was always out of whack in places like that. I met him in the hall way. His head was down and he looked to be relying on the railing attached to the walls to make his way back. Was it wrong for me to think he still looked adorable? He looked like he was in a completely different World. It seemed like he was totally unaware of what was going on around him.

“You just missed your dad.” I said, trying to be as direct as possible.

“What did he say?” He asked with such apathy that I almost wanted to put my arms around him again right then and there.

“Well, he said that the doctors still aren’t saying a whole lot. I think she is still in surgery. I'm not sure when you will be able to see her.”

“Well you should have asked!” He was not in a good mood, but I couldn’t hold it against him. I decided to let him take it out on me. It didn’t bother me. I knew he would have done the same if the roles had been reversed.

“Your Dad thought you and I should go home for tonight and come back for tomorrow. You look like a box of tissue and I look like your snot rag. I think we should just go catch some sleep while we can, okay?”

“Ha-ha…don’t make me laugh, Damon. Not right now.” He was too exhausted to protest so I more or less pushed him into the elevator.

I dropped him off and said my goodbyes. “I’ll be by in the morning to pick you up. Will you be okay?” I said as I put my car into park.

He just sat there as if I had not said a word, as if the car was still barreling down the highway.

“What’s wrong?” I asked as he refused to break his stare.

“I don’t want to be alone right now.” He said in a very low voice which seemed to be teetering on the edge of upset.

“You want me to stay?” I asked in humbled surprise as I moved a bit closer to him.

He nodded, but still focused on the floor mat in my car. He gave that nod like a confused or sad child would after a parent had scolded them and tried to make it better by offering a treat to their upset baby. It was heart breaking to see him like that. It killed me.

It was almost as if we were 5 years old again and he was mad and crying because he had lost his favorite blanket. He only relinquished his crying after his mother knelt down and handed it to him, freshly cleaned out of the dryer.

The lights from my dashboard highlighted the tears sitting in his eyes awaiting even the slightest sad thought that might cross his mind. He was in so much pain.

“I’ll stay.”

Not much was said after that. The house was dark and eerily silent as we made our way up to his bedroom. I had rarely seen it like this before. It was usually very bright and felt alive with the hustle and bustle that was the lives of the Kiedis family, but not on that night.

I made my pallet on the floor as Trent got ready for bed in his bathroom. Neither one of us had said much of anything to one another at that point. You might understand.

I called my folks and told them everything that had happened, my plans, and said goodnight. They understood and my mom, who was good friends with Trent’s mother, was obviously worried about Trent and his mother so it was no problem for me to stay over.

He came into the bedroom and as I sat my phone down on the nightstand he walked right up to me and put his arms around me. Confused, my arms remained in the air, but I put them around his back and held him after a moment.


I had no idea what his motivates were, but at that point I was just assuming he needed someone and I was there.



"Its going to be okay, Trent. She is a tough lady. You know it as well as I do." I said as we got ready to turn the light our


"Yeah, I know." He said weakly as he climbed into his sweak-filled bed. His mattress was so noisy.

“Goodnight Trent.” I said after turning of the light and feeling my around to my covers.

I remember not thinking I would be able to sleep that night so I began running through all those thoughts in my head again. I always did that.

I could spend up to an hour just sitting in my bed thinking. The stillness really opened up my mind. As I did so I began to hear him cry once more. I’d never seen him like this before and I hated it so bad. I just wanted to make him smile, but I knew nothing could. I couldn’t imagine the thought of losing one of my parents. 



Trent had always been so strong and unaffected by things. Showing emotion was not his style so seeing this side of him was a very rare site, and I hated it more than anything. It made me sick to have to be around him when he was upset. I just wanted to go over to his bed and make him stop some how. 

I didn’t say anything for a long time, but his crying started me up again and then I, with my hand over my mouth, began to sob for him. After a while it became too much for me.

“Trent. Come here,” I said. His crying ceased for a moment.

I heard his covers shuffle and I knew it was him turning his head to look my direction. He still remained silent. I heard him crawl onto the floor and then near me. He rested his head on me and I felt his arm cross over my body as he continued to sob his poor heart out. He held on to me, tight.

I began to hum a song under his fainting cries. I can’t recall. I think it might have been Hallelujah.

I put my hand on the side of his head. I could feel his hair under my fingers, his beautiful hair. I then began to rock him back and forth ever so slightly.

Just as I felt myself fall asleep I felt something warm and moist touch my cheek, but just for a moment. Then I felt him nuzzle his head back into my chest.

I fell asleep feeling his heartbeat. I fell asleep with my arms around him. I fell asleep embracing him.

Any other time that would have been a dream come true…but not then…not like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment